Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This makes a beautiful presentation for company or for a special family summer supper or luncheon. A friend first made this recipe for a group of us. We told her we weren't leaving until she gave us the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small whole calamari, cleaned, body cut into rings (with tentacles)
- 1 link chorizo sausage, sliced
- 12 black mussels, cleaned, debearded
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 12 cooked shrimp
- lemon wedge (to garnish)
- 1 seedless European cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Place the chicken broth in a saucepan with the ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon sea salt and the rice. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 8-10 minutes or till the rice is cooked. Drain well and cool. (If possible do this step the day before and refrigerate until needed. This will help to prevent the rice from becoming soggy and will keep the grains separate).
- Heat half the olive oil in a skillet over high heat. When the skillet is very hot, add the calamari rings and tentacles and cook for about 1-2 minutes or till just cooked. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the skillet.
- Wipe out the skillet, then return it to the heat and add the remaining oil Cook the sliced chorizo sausage till crisp, then remove from the skillet.
- Place the mussels in a saucepan with the white wine and cover. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, removing each mussel as it opens. Discard any that do not open.
- For the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice and sweet paprika in a bowl. Season to taste with saslt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together rice, shrimp, calmari, chorizo and mussels. Mix in all the salad ingredients and pour over the dressing.
- transfer to a serving dish. Serve with lemon wedges.