Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This comes from one of my Food and Wine cookbooks. I’m posting it for ZWT3. Paella is traditionally made with rice, but orzo is used here. Feel free to substitute.
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces dried chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 ½ tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and ¼ t of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to moderately high. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes, paprika, chicken, ½ teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is almost done; 3 minutes.
- Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Steam the chicken for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large glass or stainless-steel bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the orzo until done; about 12 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add the orzo to the chicken mixture.
- Toss with lemon juice, remaining olive oil, salt, tomato and the parsley.