This comes from one of my Food and Wine cookbooks. I’m posting it for ZWT3. Paella is traditionally made with rice, but orzo is used here. Feel free to substitute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces dried chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1In a large frying pan, heat 1 ½ tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat.
- 2Add the onion, bell pepper and ¼ t of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- 3Increase the heat to moderately high. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in the red pepper flakes, paprika, chicken, ½ teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is almost done; 3 minutes.
- 5Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Steam the chicken for 2 minutes.
- 6Transfer the mixture to a large glass or stainless-steel bowl to cool.
- 7Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the orzo until done; about 12 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- 8Add the orzo to the chicken mixture.
- 9Toss with lemon juice, remaining olive oil, salt, tomato and the parsley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paella Salad
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 612.7
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 1395.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 41.0 g