Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From 'Meditarranean Fresh' by Joyce Goldstein. Use Basmati Rice instead of the short-grain paella rice. Makes a wonderful lunch dish or light summer supper.
- 6 chicken breast halves, small and skinless
- 1 1⁄2 cups garlic vinaigrette
- 3 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron, crushed filaments
- 2 cups basmati rice
- sea salt
- 2 capsicums, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 onion, red and finely diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled and seeded and diced
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 30 shrimp, medium shelled and deveined
- white wine
- 1⁄2 cup olive, for garnish
- Marinate chicken in 1/2 cup vineagrette for at least 4 hours or overnight. Broil or grill for about 3 minutes per side. When cool, cut the chicken into strips that are about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Set aside.
- Put 1/4 cup water and saffron into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over a high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to steep.
- Wash the rice, drain it and place in a medium saucepan. Cover with 3 cups water and the saffron infusion and bring to boil over a high heat. Add salt to taste, lower heat, and cover the pan. Cook over a low heat for 12 - 15 minutes, until all the water has absorbed.
- When the rice is cooked and still warm, toss it in a large bowl with most of the remaining vinaigrette. Add the capsicum, onion and tomatoes and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, poach the shrimp in wine or water to cover until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Or brush with vinaigrette and grill.
- Toss the chicken and shrimp with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Distribute the rice salad among 6 plates or place on a large platter. Top with chicken and shrimp and garnish with olives if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.