Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A Potjie is a South African Stew type meal cooked in a large three legged pot over coals. It is often cooked as port of a social gathering in much the same way as BBQs are. These are awesome to have while camping too. Instructions for cooking in a crockpot are included.
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 3 red sweet peppers (seeded and cut in strips)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb pork, cubed
- 5 chicken thighs, halved
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 lbs kingklip or white perch fillets, cut in strips
- 12 ounces prawns, frozen
- 1 lb rice, uncooked
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces frozen green peas
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Heat the oil in the pot. Lightly brown the pepper, onion, pork and chicken. Cover and simmer slowly for an hour or until the meat is nearly done.
- Add the saffron, bay leaves and chicken stock cubes to the boiling water and set aside.
- Place the fish and prawns on top of the meat, followed by the rice and peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the saffron water little by little as the rice boils dry. Simmer the potjie gently until the rice and peas are done and all the liquid has nearly boiled away. Paella should be loose and the rice should not be soggy.
- Add the lemon juice just before serving and stir well.
- To cook in a crockpot cook on high as outlined above.
Great tasting paella! Cooked in my cast iron, on a slow simmer. Stayed true to the recipe, and used all ingredients listed. A very satisfying and lovely paella for a summers' eve. Very easy to put together, and the taste will only increase the next day. Thanks for posting! ZWT7