Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Regional style fish meat and rice dish. Unlike it's Spain counter part this recipe is flavored with tomato rather than saffron making it quite different. Any good Mexican pork sausage would do for the Panamanian, and if you can't find a Spanish pork sausage, try an andouille sausage, Italian sausage or chorizo combinations. Anything except American breakfast sausage!
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- 4 medium pork chops
- 2 medium lobsters
- 1 lb squid
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small shrimp
- 3 lbs small clams
- 2 lbs panamanian pork sausage
- 2 lbs spanish sausage
- 1⁄2 lb razor clam (Longorones)
- 1⁄2 lb mussels
- 4 large onions
- 4 medium green peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes or 3 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby green peas (petit pois) or 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 5 cups rice (do not use converted rice)
- parsley, to taste
- scallion, to taste
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 0.5 (7 ounce) jar stuffed green olives
- Cut and fry the chicken well.
- Make a sauce with 1 1/2 onions chopped, 1 1/2 green peppers chopped and 1 1/2 tomatoes cut up.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Cook on a low heat.
- Separately, fry the sausages in small pieces and do the same with the pork chops.
- Boil the lobsters and shrimp and peel them.
- Clean and slice clams and squid.
- Make a sauce with 1 1/2 onions, 1 1/2 green pepper, 1 1/2 tomatoes and liquid from the peas.
- Separate the meat from the bones of all the meat and cook the clams with scallions and parsley.
- Wash the rice well (3 times) and in a large, deep pot, put 6 tablespoons oil and fry the rice.
- Add the liquid the seafoods were cooked in (about 5 cups).
- Add sausage, boneless chicken and pork with its sauce, whole shrimp, lobster sliced into small pieces, clams and squid and mussels in their sauce.
- Also add sauce made with the remaining onion, scallion, finely chopped green pepper, tomato paste and tomato sauce.
- Add the peas and olives.
- Cook at a high heat for 10 minutes; then cover pot and cook at a low heat for 45 minutes.
- When ready to serve, decorate with strips of green pepper and olives.