Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A classic Spanish dish. The basic ingredients are olive oil, saffron and rice. This is a seafood version with garlic and saffron. Posted for ZWT 2007.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp
- 1 lb squid
- 1 lb mussels
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 5 cups water
- In a pan put the half olive oil and the add the onion and garlic.
- Stir for 3 minutes and then add the peppers and the tomato paste.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the squids, the rice, the saffron , salt and pepper.
- After 2-3 minutes add the warm water.
- Add the rest of the olive oil.
- When the water is absorbed add the shrimps and the mussels.
- Continue cooking stirring occasionally for 10 minutes more.
- Serve and enjoy!
I cheated and just used saffron rice, and used chicken and shrimp. It turned out really good! Thanks for a simple yummy recipe!
This was sooo good and easy. I replaced the fish listed here with equal amounts of cod and chicken, and it still came out very nicely. My family agreed that it tasted BETTER than any paella we had in Spain =) I really can't wait to make this again..it was simple and yummy!
I substituted the saffron with turmeric and it turned out fine..