Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
A non seafood paella
- 4 -5 saffron threads
- 1 small onion
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, boned and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb pork tenderloin, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces kielbasa, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages sazon goya with azafran
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (12 ounce) can mushrooms, canned
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can peas
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- Soak saffron in four tablespoons of wine or water for 20 minutes.
- Chop the onion.
- Char the pepper under the grill; plunge into cold water and rub off the skin.
- Discard the seeds and cut the pepper into thin strips.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and cube the pork.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a skillet and brown the chicken and pork for 10 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Put the sausage in the same skillet, prick with a fork and fry for 10 minutes.
- Set aside with the meat.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet, and fry the onion and crushed garlic as soon as it begins to brown add the tomatoes.
- Add salt to taste and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place the chicken, pork, sausage and bay leaf in another saucepan with 2 1/4 cups stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large paella pan or cast iron skillet and brown the rice, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually stir in the cooking liquid from the meat, the strips of pepper and the peas and cook for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and place in a hot oven for 5 minutes before serving.