Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so wonderful!! No meat in this recipe so it is a great recipe for everyone. I do not know where the original recipe came from as I got it from a friend. Instead of the parmesan cheese, you can substitute Manchego cheese.
- 3 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup pimento stuffed olive, chopped
- 5 cups spinach leaves, destemmed and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine the vegetable broth, parsley, basil, saffron, and cumin in a skillet over low heat. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in the paella pan and lightly toast pine nuts. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and sauté until tender.
- Add the olives and spinach and cook for several minutes, until spinach has wilted.
- Mix in the rice and pour in the vegetable broth mixture, combining well.
- Cook until the rice is tender and all the broth has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Mix in the cheese and allow to cool for several minutes before serving.
I really enjoyed this tonight! I served with Green Chili and Monterey Jack Quesadillas. I lovee the taste of the olives and really enjoyed the light crunch of the pine nuts. Thank you! I forgot the Parmesan cheese, but it didn't matter. It was all good!