Southern Lady's Note:
Easy crowd pleaser that you can do in one large skillet (I use my 5 quart saute pan with lid) The meat is usually from leftovers that I freeze. Chicken, Pork (Sausage), and Shrimp is my norm. Paella is Spain's version to leftovers as goulash is in U.S. You can use any veggie, meat or seafood. Chorizo, mussles, asparagus, and always red peppers are used in the more authentic recipes. I read you can use Mexican Safflower (Azafran Flor ) in stead of saffron and it works very well in Paella without spending a lot of cash. Turmeic works fine, too. Your brand of rice needs to cook within 20-25 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (more if preferred)
- 3/4-1 lb chicken breast, cut large bite size pieces
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced large bite sizes
- 2 cups rice, short grain uncooked
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 pinch turmeric or 1 pinch saffron
- 2 lemons, zested (or 2 tsp dried lemon peel)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (Hungarian smoked preferred)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart chicken stock (stock works best, chicken broth can be substituted)
- 3/4-1 lb pork or 3/4-1 lb ham, diced large bite size
- 3 -4 roma tomatoes, chopped large bite size
- 1 cup green peas, frozen
- 1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley, chopped (or 1 T dried parsley)
- 3/4-1 lb frozen cooked shrimp
- salt & pepper
- 1Note: If starting with raw chicken, use only breast meat as dark meat will not have time to completly cook. If using chorizo, cook in a side skillet.
- 2Rinse frozen shrimp to release any built up ice and set aside in colander.
- 3In large 5 qt skillet or saute pan, add olive oil and heat on medium-low.
- 4When well heated, add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add chicken, cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 6Add onion, red bell pepper and cook until veggies are tender and chicken is no longer pink. Veggies should have cooked down making a thick garlic olive oil sauce.
- 7Add rice, stir frequently while toasting rice, about 4-5 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle oregano, turmeric (saffron), lemon zest, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes over chicklen mixture and fold in seasoning.
- 9Add bayleaf, chicken stock, pre-cooked sausage/pork/ham, stirring until seasoning is well distributed.
- 10Add roma tomatoes, folding in lightly.
- 11Cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes on med-low.
- 12Taste test for salt & pepper and add if needed.
- 13Add green peas & parsley, folding in, recover with lid and simmer 5 minutes. (Add more stock or water if needed, but recipe should be fine).
- 14Fold in pre-cooked shrimp, cover, and allow to simmer 5-7 minutes until heated through.
- 15Remove bayleaf and throw away.
- 16Serve hot directrly from pan or large pasta serving dish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for PAELLa - EASY & DELICIOUS
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.3
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 156.3 mg
- Sodium 629.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh Italian parsley