Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy crowd pleaser that you can do in one large skillet (I use my 5 quart saute pan with lid) The meat is usually from leftovers that I freeze. Chicken, Pork (Sausage), and Shrimp is my norm. Paella is Spain's version to leftovers as goulash is in U.S. You can use any veggie, meat or seafood. Chorizo, mussles, asparagus, and always red peppers are used in the more authentic recipes. I read you can use Mexican Safflower (Azafran Flor ) in stead of saffron and it works very well in Paella without spending a lot of cash. Turmeic works fine, too. Your brand of rice needs to cook within 20-25 minutes.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (more if preferred)
- 3⁄4-1 lb chicken breast, cut large bite size pieces
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced large bite sizes
- 2 cups rice, short grain uncooked
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 pinch turmeric or 1 pinch saffron
- 2 lemons, zested (or 2 tsp dried lemon peel)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (Hungarian smoked preferred)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart chicken stock (stock works best, chicken broth can be substituted)
- 3⁄4-1 lb pork or 3⁄4-1 lb ham, diced large bite size
- 3 -4 roma tomatoes, chopped large bite size
- 1 cup green peas, frozen
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh Italian parsley, chopped (or 1 T dried parsley)
- 3⁄4-1 lb frozen cooked shrimp
- salt & pepper
- Note: If starting with raw chicken, use only breast meat as dark meat will not have time to completly cook. If using chorizo, cook in a side skillet.
- Rinse frozen shrimp to release any built up ice and set aside in colander.
- In large 5 qt skillet or saute pan, add olive oil and heat on medium-low.
- When well heated, add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken, cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onion, red bell pepper and cook until veggies are tender and chicken is no longer pink. Veggies should have cooked down making a thick garlic olive oil sauce.
- Add rice, stir frequently while toasting rice, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle oregano, turmeric (saffron), lemon zest, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes over chicklen mixture and fold in seasoning.
- Add bayleaf, chicken stock, pre-cooked sausage/pork/ham, stirring until seasoning is well distributed.
- Add roma tomatoes, folding in lightly.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes on med-low.
- Taste test for salt & pepper and add if needed.
- Add green peas & parsley, folding in, recover with lid and simmer 5 minutes. (Add more stock or water if needed, but recipe should be fine).
- Fold in pre-cooked shrimp, cover, and allow to simmer 5-7 minutes until heated through.
- Remove bayleaf and throw away.
- Serve hot directrly from pan or large pasta serving dish.