Recipe by An American in Spain
This recipe was adapted from "the tapas cookbook" and modified to be more pleasing to the Northern European and North American tastes. These croquettes make an outstanding tapa and can even be served as a first course for a dinner party.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This a very tasty appetizer and if you roll them small enough -- you can get a good quantity out of the rice mixture. The croquettes do not roll up very easily and I was afraid they would fall apart in the oil, but they didn't and they turned out really well. I will definitely make them again, but I will need to add more bread crumbs or flour to the mixture as the recipe indicates. Made for the Tapas Party tag, January, 2012.
- 2 1⁄2 cups risotto rice (short grains) or 2 1⁄2 cups paella rice (short grains)
- 1 large onion, medium chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons saffron, crushed or 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups water, heated
- 6 ounces salami
- 6 ounces smoked ham (or any other spiced meat)
- seasoned flour
- 2 eggs, beaten with
- 1 little milk
- seasoned dry bread crumb
- oil, to fry
- parsley, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put rice in a large pot along with bullion cube, bay leaf garlic, olive oil and saffron/turmeric.
- Pour heated stock/water over the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer until all the water is absorbed (about 17 minutes).
- Remove from heat remove the bay leaf and allow the rice mixture to cool.
- Mince the meats in a food processor and add to the rice mixture.
- The mixture should be a little moist enabling you to roll medium balls.
- If it is too wet, add a little breadcrumbs or flour.
- Form the rice mixture into medium size balls and roll them in the seasoned flour until they are lightly covered.
- Roll them in the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs.
- (These may be refrigerated overnight).
- Deep fry in hot oil (365°F/185°C) until lightly golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.