Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Spanish Rice with Chicken and Seafood
- 1 dozen clams or 1 dozen mussels
- 1⁄2 kg prawns
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 200 g pork loin, cut into cubes
- 75 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- 300 g squid
- 300 g prawns, peeled
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 500 g short-grain rice
- 1 1⁄4 liters boiling hot chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 10 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 750 g red pimiento
- 100 g cooked peas
- Clean the clams and or mussels and steam them open. Remove half of the shell and discard.
- De-vein the and slightly butterfly the prawns and season to taste.
- Disjoint the chicken wings and discard the wing tips and season to taste.
- Season the pork loin cubes to taste.
- Remember not to over season the prawns,pork and chicken wings and meat as your chicken stock, if made from stock cube's, is already salty.
- In the paella pan heat half the olive oil and in it toast 2 cloves of garlic and the bay-leaf. Remove them and set aside.
- In the same oil brown the chicken wings with the cubes of pork, turning them often. Remove to a dish when nicely browned.
- Now add the minced onion and sliced green peppers to the oil and sauté for a few minutes, then add the squid rings and prawn meat and sauté.
- Add the tomatoes and raise the heat to high so that the "fry" in the oil. add remaining oil at this point so that the mixture does not stick.
- Add the rice and cook briefly, stirring, so that the grains become slightly opaque.
- Add to the rice the chicken and pork and continue cooking on a high heat.
- In a mortar or blender crush the 2 fried garlic and bay-leaf with the saffron, peppercorns, paprika, 1 clove of raw garlic and salt.Dilute a little liquid from the pan and mix well and then add to the paella. Stir it in well to mix.
- Now turn down the heat and let the paella continue cooking.
- Remember to keep on adding chicken broth to the paella just covering the rice. Remember Bomba rice must still be slightly raw in the centre and then you know that you can remove the pan from the fire. The rice will finish cooking once you have covered the pan either with brown paper or dish cloths.
- Decorate the top with the clams and or mussels, prawns, strips of red pimiento and cooked peas. Make sure that the prawns are covered with the broth and continue cooking until your rice is done.
- Remove from the heat and cover the pan either with some brown paper or dish cloths and let the paella sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with lemon wedges which are squeezed over the rice, chicken and shellfish.