Canadian Girl 029's Note:
Paella is a great Spanish dish that can be made all in one skillet. I like to make this whenever I have leftovers that I need to get rid of, you can substitute the chicken thighs with pork, beef, or turkey - or take it out for a great vegetarian meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces chorizo sausages
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1Dice chorizo and set aside.
- 2Cut chicken thighs into 1 inch pieces (I find that you can also use leftover meats from your fridge you just skip the cooking part of them and add it to the skillet later on) then set aside.
- 3Peel and devein the shrimp and set aside.
- 4Dice your yellow onion.
- 5Cut the red bell pepper into strips.
- 6Mince the garlic cloves.
- 7Slice the green onions into thin strips.
- 8Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add your chorizo, saute for about 5 minutes.
- 9Once the chorizo is finished let it soak on a paper towel to get rid of the grease.
- 10Season the chicken with your salt and pepper.
- 11Cook the chicken in the same skillet stirring occasionally until it is brown, around 5 - 7 minutes.
- 12Remove the chicken from the skillet and place to the side.
- 13Add the yellow onion, red pepper and garlic to the skillet cooking until they are tender, about 7 minutes.
- 14Leaving the veggies in stir in your rice and cook them together for another 2 minutes.
- 15Next add your broth, paprika, thyme, and bay leaf and give the mixture a stir.
- 16Mix in your chorizo and chicken adding additional salt and pepper if desired.
- 17Bring the mixture to a low boil, and then reduce the heat so that it is at a low simmer.
- 18Cover the skillet and let cook for 10 minutes.
- 19Add the green peas and the shrimp to the skillet pouring the lemon juice on top after (use freshly squeezed for a more subtle taste).
- 20Sprinkle with the green onions and serve!
- 21*if your rice is looking a bit dried out you can add 1/4 a cup of water to the mixture, just increase heat and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paella
Serving Size: 1 (699 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 781.8
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 238.9 mg
- Sodium 1378.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 58.4 g