Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Paella is a great Spanish dish that can be made all in one skillet. I like to make this whenever I have leftovers that I need to get rid of, you can substitute the chicken thighs with pork, beef, or turkey - or take it out for a great vegetarian meal.
- 4 ounces chorizo sausages
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup green peas
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup green onion
- Dice chorizo and set aside.
- Cut chicken thighs into 1 inch pieces (I find that you can also use leftover meats from your fridge you just skip the cooking part of them and add it to the skillet later on) then set aside.
- Peel and devein the shrimp and set aside.
- Dice your yellow onion.
- Cut the red bell pepper into strips.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Slice the green onions into thin strips.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add your chorizo, saute for about 5 minutes.
- Once the chorizo is finished let it soak on a paper towel to get rid of the grease.
- Season the chicken with your salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken in the same skillet stirring occasionally until it is brown, around 5 - 7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place to the side.
- Add the yellow onion, red pepper and garlic to the skillet cooking until they are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Leaving the veggies in stir in your rice and cook them together for another 2 minutes.
- Next add your broth, paprika, thyme, and bay leaf and give the mixture a stir.
- Mix in your chorizo and chicken adding additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil, and then reduce the heat so that it is at a low simmer.
- Cover the skillet and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the green peas and the shrimp to the skillet pouring the lemon juice on top after (use freshly squeezed for a more subtle taste).
- Sprinkle with the green onions and serve!
- *if your rice is looking a bit dried out you can add 1/4 a cup of water to the mixture, just increase heat and cook for an additional 5 minutes.