Recipe by canarygirl
This is a wonderfully flavorful meal. Chicken or pork may be substituted for the seafood, or try a "mixed" paella, with a little of each!
Top Review by Hastur
This turned out quite tasty. It wasn't difficult to make, either. My only complaint is that there seemed to be too much liquid and it turned out a little soggy; there wasn't much of the crispy rice at the bottom of the pan like there should be with good paella. I would use this recipe again, but I might omit a half-cup or even whole cup of water next time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice (Uncle Ben's works best)
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1⁄2 lb mussels, in their shells
- 1⁄2 lb clam, in their shells
- 1⁄2 lb squid, cleaned, and cut into rings
- 1 medium onion
- 2 -3 very ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- saffron (I use 1 packet of ground)
- 1 double bouillon cube (Knorr is nice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- lemon wedge (for serving)
- Clean all seafood under cold running water.
- Chop vegetables.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Sauté vegetables.
- When they begin to soften, add seafood, thyme and bay leaf, and cook thoroughly.
- Add saffron, water, bouillon cube and salt. Stir well and add rice.
- Bring to a boil, and boil uncovered 5 minutes on high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 more minutes. Do not lift cover during this time!
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 more minutes, still without removing cover.
- Now, you can finally lift the lid, and fluff the rice, remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Serve with crusty french bread, and lemon wedges.