1/3 Photos of Paella
1 hr 10 mins
This is a traditional Spanish rice dish with seafood, chicken and sausage. It's a one pot meal, served family style in the pot it's cooked in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 chicken wings
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, tails on
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 ounces spanish chorizo, sliced (substitute kielbasa or other sausage)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread (substitute turmeric)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced (sub large can whole tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups rice (short or long grain)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 10 Spanish olives with pimento, sliced if large
- 1Heat oil in large, deep skilled or oven safe dutch oven (preferably cast iron or cast aluminum).
- 2Saute chicken about 10 minutes until golden, not brown; remove and set aside.
- 3Saute shrimp until just becomes pink; remove and set aside.
- 4Saute onion and bell pepper about 10 minutes until soft.
- 5Add chorizo, garlic, bay leaf, saffron and thyme; stir and cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; stir.
- 6Add rice and cook about 5 minutes.
- 7Add chicken broth, increasing heat to medium high.
- 8Once mixture boils, sprinkle with peas and place in oven, uncovered. Cook 15 minutes until rice is tender and moist.
- 9Push mussels into rice and cook an additional 5 minutes until shells open.
- 10Garnish with olives and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paella
Serving Size: 1 (767 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 779.0
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 148.0 mg
- Sodium 2667.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 43.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Spanish olives with pimento