This is a traditional Spanish rice dish with seafood, chicken and sausage. It's a one pot meal, served family style in the pot it's cooked in.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 chicken wings
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, tails on
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 ounces spanish chorizo, sliced (substitute kielbasa or other sausage)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread (substitute turmeric)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced (sub large can whole tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice (short or long grain)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 10 Spanish olives with pimento, sliced if large
- Heat oil in large, deep skilled or oven safe dutch oven (preferably cast iron or cast aluminum).
- Saute chicken about 10 minutes until golden, not brown; remove and set aside.
- Saute shrimp until just becomes pink; remove and set aside.
- Saute onion and bell pepper about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add chorizo, garlic, bay leaf, saffron and thyme; stir and cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; stir.
- Add rice and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, increasing heat to medium high.
- Once mixture boils, sprinkle with peas and place in oven, uncovered. Cook 15 minutes until rice is tender and moist.
- Push mussels into rice and cook an additional 5 minutes until shells open.
- Garnish with olives and serve.