Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 4 teaspoons dry basil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts, skinned and cut in bite-size pieces (1 lb.)
- 12 large shrimp
- 3 chorizo sausage, in small pieces (3 oz.)
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups hot chicken broth
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb scallops
- 12 clams or 12 mussels
- 2 pimientos, cut into strips
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, oregano, dry basil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken and shrimp in another bowl; pour over marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Heat about 1 tablespoon marinade in frypan over medium heat. Remove chicken and drain; add to pan and cook until lightly brown.
- Remove from pan; set aside. Add sausage to pan; cook over medium heat until well browned.
- Add onions and green pepper to pan; raise heat to medium-high; cook until vegetables are soft. Stir in rice; brown slightly.
- Add broth, tomatoes, saffron, coriander, chicken and sausage; boil, cover, heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is tender.
- Add peas and scallops; toss gently.
- Transfer Paella to large ovenproof 6-quart baking dish or paella pan.
- Drain shrimp; push into rice mixture along with clams.
- Bake, covered, in 350 degrees oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and clams open.
- Garnish with pimento strips, if desired.
Although I changed the recipe just a little and used linquisa instead of chorizo this was the very best, and was easy to fix. I prepared most of the ingredients the day before. IThe best idea was to marinade the shrimp and chicken. We had 6 friends for dinner and they were all impressed.
Getting ready to make it again. It is becoming a family favorite. When I visit son in law it is the first request. Great food.
This was delicious!!! I didn't have any chorizo, so I substituted breakfast link sausage cut into chunks. I also didn't have scallops or clams or mussels, but I did have shrimp and chicken. Besides those ingredients that I didn't have, I had everything else on hand, so it came together very quickly. Made plenty, so there was leftovers for a few lunches, which made the family very happy!