Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
I just made this after posting - I knew it would be good because I had it marked as a keeper, but it had been so long since I made it I couldn't remember any specific details. After making it again, the only thing wrong was that I didn't make enough for my family of five! They also requested more shrimp : ) I'll be doubling the recipe in the future.....
Top Review by eatrealfood
Tasty and flavorful. I had to add extra paprika and saffron - probably doubled the amount of both. I used a long-grain rice, but wish I had reviews on other recipes which show that short-grain rice would have been better. But it was a quick and easy meal which we did enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb chunk chicken
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (*)
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped reserving liquid
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken and stir until browned.
- Add rice, onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring,until onion is tender and rice is lightly browned.
- Add broth, tomatoes,tomato liquid, paprika, ground red pepper and saffron. Bring to a boil; stir. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, pepper strips & peas.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Serves 6.
- * If using med. Grain rice, use 1 ¼ cups of broth; for parboiled rice, use 1 ¾ cups of broth.