Recipe by Halcyon Eve
My husband loves paella, so my mother adapted her recipe to make it kosher for him. It's wonderful!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chicken pieces
- 3⁄4-1 lb bulk turkey sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and cut into large dice
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled (be careful not to lose any!)
- 1 lb boneless halibut fillet, cubed (or any firm-fleshed fish)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (13 ounce) canwater-pack artichoke hearts, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken pieces in olive oil in a large, deep saute pan. Remove and set aside.
- Brown sausage, breaking apart as it cooks, in drippings in pan.
- Add onion and tomatoes and cook until tender.
- Stir in broth, rice, and seasonings. Return chicken to pan. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add fish and carefully stir into paella. Cook another 15 minutes.
- Add peas and artichoke hearts and cook until heated through.