- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut in pieces
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage or 1⁄2 lb spicy sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups water, heated to boiling
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp, deveined, tails on
- 1⁄3 cup peas
- 2 lemons
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for the Seasoning Mixture and set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Saute chicken until golden and partially done; remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add sausages to the pan, saute 2 minutes. Remove from pan and cut into slices.
- Pour off grease in the pan and add 2 more tbsp oil. Saute onion, garlic, bell pepper, and tomato. Stir in the Seasoning Mixture and parsley. Cook 3 minutes until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Heat the remaining 3 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Blend in the onion mixture. Pour in hot water, arrange the chicken and sausage slices on top.
- When the liquid simmers, place in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and dry.
- Scatter shrimp and peas over the top; bake 5 minutes more, or just until shrimp turns pink.
- Remove pan from oven. Cover and allow paella to sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with lemon wedges.