Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A healthy crunchy salad, prep time does not include soaking, cooking and cooling time. Enjoy!
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 fuji apple, cored and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice of, 1/2 ripe
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Wash the lentils and soak them for 2 hours in tepid water; drain.
- In a deep pot, add 8 cups of water to the lentils, bring to a boil, cover, and cook on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Rinse the lentils with cold water and drain. Make sure the lentils are cooked but firm, not mushy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the lentils, apple, bell pepper, jalapeno, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and parsley. Stir and set aside in the fridge.
- Just before serving, heat the sesame oil on medium-high heat.
- When hot, roast the ginger and coconut for a few minutes until golden and toasty.
- Sprinkle this garnish over the lentils and serve immediately.
Yum! Loved this salad. It's really crunchy and refreshing, even better the next day. Will make this again. Thanks for another keeper, dear Pam :)<br/>Made for the Cook-A-Thon in memory of Pam