Recipe by Sackville
This is not the most authentic version of Pad Thai but we really enjoy it and it's also a very cheap recipe to make. We were sceptical of the instructions that say not to stir the first time we made this but we followed them and it does work. If you aren't vegan, you might want to add some shrimp or a fried egg on top. We often substitute the frozen peas for whatever vegetable we happen to have around the house.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 small bunch green onion
- 5 carrots, grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups of chopped button mushrooms
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 500 g tofu, cubed
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 250 g rice noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the garlic and onion in a large, deep frying pan.
- After a couple minutes, add the tofu and green onion. Let it fry away without stirring.
- After a few more minutes, throw the peanut butter glob in the center and pile on the grated carrot, frozen peas, and mushrooms.
- Put the lemon juice, hot sauce and hoisin sauce on top as well, still without stirring it yet.
- Let everything cook away over a medium heat for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables have reached a nice consistency.
- Give the heap a big stir.
- Soak the rice noodles in boiled water for 5-8 minutes and mix them in well with the fried vegetable mixture.
- Squeeze on a bit more lemon, serve and enjoy.