Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Round-eye Thai receipe.
For the sauce (makes 20 servings)
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle tamarind soup mix (Sour Soup Base Mix)
- 1 (16 ounce) package palm sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 -4 teaspoons chili flakes, thai style or
- 2 -4 teaspoons chili powder
For the Pad Thai meal
- 1 (8 ounce) package rice noodles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined or
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-sized hunks
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 bunch chives, thai style has a earthier taste or
- 1 bunch chives, or
- 4 green onions
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into small wedges
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
- fried tofu (optional)
- cilantro (fresh)
- For the sauce:.
- Heat a deep frying pan or small pot over medium low heat adding all ingredients except the chili powder.
- Cook the sauce until the palm sugar and regular white granulated sugar have dissolved. Taste the sauce at this point and add a little more sugar if too sour. The end result should be a well balance sweet/sour flavor.
- To make it more spicy, add in the optional Thai chili flakes or chili powder to taste.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool and store in a jar until needed for the main dish.
- For the Pad Thai:.
- Note: Soak the dried or fresh rice noodles in cold water for up to a day in advance. If you boil a pot of water while cooking the Pad Thai, you can quickly dip the noodles you're going to use with a small strainer and watch them "melt" and become translucent. This only takes a few seconds; quickly drain and throw them in the wok when you get to that step.
- Heat up a wok and add oil. When the oil is near its smoke point, add the minced garlic and do a few quick stirs. Add chicken and shrimp into the wok stirring until half-cooked, then add the tofu pieces (if using). Add the eggs, stirring about to do a scramble of sorts.
- Dip, drain and stir in the noodles at this point. Add enough of the Pad Thai sauce to your taste. add the bean sprouts and chives shortly before removing from heat.
- Serve with some peanuts sprinkled on top, fresh bean sprouts and lime wedges. Garnish with cilantro.