Taken from Hawker Food, one of my friends scanned the recipe to me while she was in Thailand, so I imagine it will be pretty good. Prep and cooking times are estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 150 g pad thai noodles
- 300 g raw prawns
- 3 tablespoons tamarind puree
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 -4 garlic, gloves finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 85 g chinese chives
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, depending on taste
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp (ground or pounded)
- 2 tablespoons preserved turnip, finely chopped
- 2 1/2-3 tablespoons roasted peanuts, chopped
- 180 g bean sprouts
- 3 spring onions, slivered
- 1 long red chili, seeded and shredded, for garnish
- cilantro, leaves (to garnish)
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- 1Soak the noodles in hot water for 1-2 minutes or until soft, then drain.
- 2Peel and devein the prawns and cut each prawn along the back so it opens like a butterfly (leave prawn joined along the base and at the tail, leaving the tail attached).
- 3Combine the tamarind with the fish sauce and palm sugar in a bowl.
- 4Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a wok or fying pan and stir-fry the garlic over a medium heat until light brown. Add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes.
- 5Using a spatula, move the prawns out from the middle of the wok. Add another 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to the wok. Add the eggs and stir to scrample for 1 minute. Add the noodles and chives and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the fish sauce mixture, chilli powder, dried shrimp, preserved turnip and half of the peanuts. Add half of the bean sprouts and spring onions. Test the noodles for tenderness and adjust the seasononing if necessary.
- 6Spoon onto the serving place and sprinkle the remaining peanuts over the top. Garnish with shredded chillies and a few coriander leaves. Place the lime wedges and remaining bean sprouts and spring onions at the side of the dish and serve.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pad Thai
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.2
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 219.0 mg
- Sodium 1436.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 25.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: