Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from Foolproof Thai Cooking. Delicious, quick, authentic tasting. Combines the essential Thai flavors of sweet, sour, hot, and spicy. Two thumbs up from my household. Very open to improvisation. The garnishes are mixed in just before serving.Have all ingredients ready before beginning since cooking will happen quickly. Notes: I have made this with fettuccine noodles to stellar results when I can't find rice noodles. If I have it, I add: approximately 1 tsp-1 T tamarind paste (to fish sauce), 1-2 T dried daikon radish (with garlic). With chicken, if I have time, I marinate it in a yogurt, tandoor, and lemon marinade for several hours. The chili sauce I use is Maersi brand in soybean oil.
- 8 ounces wide dried rice noodles
- 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp (or chicken breasts, tofu, etc.)
- 1 -2 tablespoon sesame oil (any oil ok)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic (more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons finely sliced shallots
- 2 seeded and chopped chilies (more to taste)
- 2 eggs, beaten (can use 1)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (can sub lemon juice)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (nam prik pao or sweet chili sauce)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- coarsely chopped cilantro (approx 1/4 C)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Soak rice noodles in a bowl of warm water for 25 minutes until al dente, drain.
- Heat wok or large frying pan over high heat until it is very hot, then add 1 T of the oil. When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the shrimp and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. If using chicken/tofu, saute until cooked through, approximately 3-5 minutes. With chicken, using forks, shred finely. Scramble beaten eggs over med-high heat and remove from the pan and set aside. Combine the lime juice, fish sauce, chili sauce, sugar and black pepper in a separate bowl and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Reheat the wok, add the remaining oil, then add the garlic, shallots, and chilies and stir fry for 1 minute. Now add the drained noodles and stir fry for another minute. Finally add eggs, lime juice, fish sauce, chili sauce, sugar and black pepper and continue to stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Return the shrimp/tofu/chicken to the wok, toss in the bean sprouts and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Serve at once with garnishes.