Recipe by Scarlett516
Adding for ZWT 6. Most of the "cooking" time is for soaking the noodles.
Top Review by Andrea-Oz
This is my favourite pad thai recipe. I use the sauce and spice mixture to stir fry lots of vegies first. Sometimes I add strips of chicken or prawns. I often can't be bothered doing the scrambled eggs first, although it is wonderful hen I do.
- 12 ounces rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup peeled shrimp, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nuoc mam or man pla)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, as needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1⁄4 cup dry roasted salted peanut, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- minced cilantro leaf
- 2 limes or 2 lemons, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the noodles in warm water until soft (15-30 minutes). Drain thoroughly and toss with half the oil.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large, deep non-stick skillet for a minute or so, until the first wisps of smoke appear.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds. Shrimp does not need to be fully cooked at this time.
- Add the eggs and let sit for 15 seconds or until they begin to set.
- Scramble the eggs with the shrimp and garlic, breaking up large clumps.
- Add the fish sauce and sugar. Cook, stirring, for 15 seconds.
- Add the noodles. Toss and cook until heated through. Add salt to taste.
- Add 1 cup of bean sprouts and toss until evenly distributed.
- Turn out the noodles onto a platter and garnish with remaining sprouts, peanuts, crushed red pepper flakes, and cilantro.
- Squeeze lemon or lime juice all over and serve.