1/1 Photo of Pad Thai
Az B's Note:
From Complete Book of Thai Cooking by Linda Stephen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces dried medium rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock, ketchup or 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice or 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces boneless chicken or 4 ounces pork, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups bean sprouts, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- fresh red chile, cut into strips (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1To soften noodes, place in a large bowl. Cover with very hot water and let stand for 10 to 12 minutes, or until softened but still firm (pinch them to check). Rinse well with cold water and drain.
- 2In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine stock, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili sauce.
- 3Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 Tbsp oil. Add beaten eggs to hot pan and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Cook until starting to set, then stir to break into pieces. Remove from wok and reserve.
- 4Add remaining oil to wok. When hot, add garlic, shrimp, and chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes, or until shrimp and chicken are just cooked. Stir in noodles and reserved sauce mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until noodles are soft but not mushy.
- 5Add 1 cup of bean sprouts and cooked eggs and toss to combine.
- 6Turn noodles onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with remaining bean sprouts, green onions, peanuts, cilantro, and chilies, if using. Garnish with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pad Thai
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.2
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 150.3 mg
- Sodium 1064.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 19.3 g