Recipe by English_Rose
For a classic taste of Thailand try this deliciously piquant recipe for stir-fried rice noodles with fresh shrimp.
- 5 ounces dried rice noodles
- 10 1⁄2 ounces raw jumbo shrimp
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 ounces Chinese cabbage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground dried shrimp
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 6 ounces bean sprouts
- 3 scallions, chopped into short lengths
- 1 red chile, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- 1 lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the noodles in hot water for 1-2 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Peel and de-vein the shrimp, leaving the tail end and the head still on.
- Combine the tamarind, fish sauce and palm sugar in a bowl.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok. Add in the garlic, stir-frying for 1 minute, then add in the shrimp and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the remaining oil and mix in the beaten egg. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add in the soaked noodles and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add in the tamarind mixture, 1½ tablespoons of roasted peanuts, chili flakes and dried shrimp and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in hahlf of the bean sprouts, two-thirds of the chopped scallions and the Chinese leaves and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the noodles to a serving plate and sprinkle with the remaining bean sprouts and scallions. Garnish with the red chili and cilantro and serve at once with the lime wedge.