Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from Thailand: The Beautiful Cookbook, by far my favorite Thai cookbook. It is a ground beef curry, which seems fairly unique. I use frozen cut green beans and frozen mixed peppers, so it is quick and easy to make with staple ingredients. I doubled it as it only calls for 8 oz of ground beef.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 cups string beans or 4 cups snake beans, in 1-in pieces
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 -16 Thai chiles, sliced (optional)
- Heat a large skillet and add the oil and garlic.
- Add the ground beef and sauté on medium-high heat until done.
- Add the beans and all the other ingredients, including the chilies if desired, and continue to cook for about 30 seconds or until the beans are tender. (Cook longer if using frozen vegetables.).
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
This dish was very tasty, but we didn't really like the ground beef in it. I will try making it again with sauteed sliced/cubed beef instead of ground because I very much enjoyed the other flavors in the dish. I added some yellow pepper for colour, as the green of the beans and pepper seemed to overpower the red, and the outcome was quite attractive. I'm not a great photographer, so my picture didn't turn out great. I'm still trying to decide if I post it! Thanks for a great TGIF dinner Shana! UPDATE: I had leftovers and leftover pasta, so decided to try something. I added coconut milk, some additional fish sauce and red curry paste to the meat mixture to make a sauce. It worked!