Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In answer to a query in the threads. I think this recipe may have come originally from Epicurious, can't remember. Serving quantity is for part of a Thai meal
- 1 tablespoon chopped Thai chile (Less if you don't like it hot)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork or 1⁄4 lb chopped chicken
- 3 cups dried wide egg noodles, 1/2 inch wide, soaked until tender then drained
- 1 cup fresh Thai basil, and buds
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- Combine sugar and pepper in a small bowl.
- Also combine the fish sauce and soy sauce in another bowl.
- Have everything ready and next to the stove.
- Heat a wok over high heat and add 2 tablespoons oil and heat until a piece of the chopped garlic sizzles immediately when dropped into the wok.
- Add the rest of the garlic to the oil and stir fry for 30 seconds, until garlic is golden.
- Add the chillies and stir fry another 30 seconds.
- Then add either the pork or chicken and stir fry for 3-5 minutes until browned and cooked.
- Add the sugar mixture and toss to mix, then the fish sauce mixture, also the vinegar and continue stir frying until the sauce bubbles and thickens a little, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice noodles and fold gently and repeatedly until they soften and absorb the sauce, about 3-5 minutes, adding more oil if needed.
- Add most of the basil (reserve some for garnish) and toss gently until it begins to wilt.
- Add tomatoes, turn once and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a platter and garnish with basil.
This was very good. Very flavorful. Next time I think I will use rice noodles rather than the egg noodles. The egg noodles were too thick for this recipe.
I love this recipe and make it quite often because I grow Thai basil. I like to substitute beef for the chicken. I also cheat when I don't feel like chopping the chilies and use prepared chinese chili sauce (the kind with the tomato base). I always seed the tomatoes before adding.
Don't try this. The recipe is screwed up and not edible. Probably typos, like no soy mentioned in the ingredients list. Also, there is WAY too much sugar in this. Awful. I will try this one next. Thai Drunken Noodles #56139 recipe by Ranikabani