Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Polish Doughnuts. Pronounced [punch-key]
Make and share this Paczki recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces yeast
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, presifted
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 7 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vodka or 2 tablespoons rum
- 6 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 lb jam
- 3 pints lard or 3 pints salad oil
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Compine the yeast with 1 tbs sugar, 1 3/4 cups flour, and 1 cup milk. Let stand in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Beat the egg and the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar.
- Add the rest of the flour and milk, vanilla, lemon rind and juice, salt, and vodka.
- Knead the dough until smooth. Add the oil in 3 parts, knead 10 more minutes.
- Place in a oven heated to 100 degrees F., cover with a towel and leave the door half open, until the dough doubles in size.
- Roll out 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut out circles 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place 1 teaspoon jam on half of the circles.
- Cover with the rest of the circles.
- Seal the edges.
- Heat the lard in an electric frying pan to 375 degrees F., or test with a small piece of dough. It should float immediately. Fry the doughnuts on both sides, a few at a time. Remove and place on paper tissue.
- Sprinkle warm doughnuts with confectioners' sugar sprinkled through a sieve.