Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 small lemons, juice of
- 1 tablespoon miso, grated (or 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese)
- 3 cloves large garlic, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup walnut pieces
- Put chick peas, lemon juice, 1/4 cup of olive oil, garlic and miso (or Parmesan cheese) in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Add one cup of basil leaves and the remainder of the oil and process again until well-blended.
- Add the remainder of the basil leaves and process again until smooth.
- Last, add the walnut pieces and mix briefly.
- Suggestions Serve on top of pasta with tomato sauce or as a spread on bruschetta (toasted slices of French bread rubbed with garlic). Miso can be found in many health food stores and Oriental groceries.
Thought I'd try this during the summer when fresh basil is in my garden. I'm glad that I did. This is wonderful! The flavor is somewhere between pesto and hummus. We enjoyed it with crisp vegetables as a dip and also in a wrap with lettuce, red peppers, cucumber and alfalfa sprouts. Delicious! Thanks Cyclopz.