Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Lamb and Rub
- 4 tablespoons asian dark sesame oil
- 4 (12 -14 ounce) lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Hoisin Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato base barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 cups wood chips, soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained (oak is preferred)
- Drizzle oil over the lamb shanks; rubbing it into the meat with your fingertips.
- Add salt, sugar, five-spice powder, and pepper to a small bowl; stir to mix or use your fingers to mix.
- Sprinkle the rub all over the lamb, patting it onto the meat with your fingers.
- To make the barbecue sauce: add bbq sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine, and sriracha in a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer; let simmer 10-15 minutes, until thick and richly flavored; set aside.
- Set up grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low; **for gas grill, place the wood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then decrease heat to medium-low.
- When ready to cook, place the lamb shanks, on their side, in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan and away from the heat; cover the grill.
- Smoke roast the lamb shanks for 1 hour.
- Wrap each shank in foil and continue cooking until very tender, 45 minutes to 1 ¼ hours more.
- When the shanks are fully cooked, the meat will have pulled back from the shank bone and will be tender enough to pull apart with your fingers; internal temperature should be about 180°.
- During the last 15 minutes or so, unwrap the shanks and brush them with some of the sauce.
- Transfer the grilled lamb shanks to a platter and serve with the remaining barbecue sauce.
These were great! Even my 4 and 5 year old liked them. The only thing I would do different is make 1/2 of the sauce....there would still be plenty of it. Will definitely do this again.