Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An adaptation of the more popular versions of a New England Style Clam Chowder. Contains plenty of vegetables and can be served as the main course. To enhance the meal serve with warm french bread.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 medium size potatoes, unpeeled and chopped (1/2 inch chunks)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup clam juice (clam nectar)
- 2 cups clams, chopped (fresh is best)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook bacon in a medium size stock pot until crisp.
- Add potatoes, carrot, onion and celery.
- Cook stirring frequently until onions are tender.
- Add evaporated milk, coconut milk, clam nectar and clams.
- In a small jar mix together water and corn starch.
- Add corn starch mixture to stock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Heat until just below boiling.
- Reduce to simmer.
- Serve when potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes).