Prep 25 mins
Cook 24 hrs
A super tangy barbecue sauce that works just as great for chicken as it does ribs. I serve this chicken dish with potato salad or mashed potatoes, a green salad and corn bread.
Chicken with Marinade
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Wild West Sauce
- 1 firm ripe mango
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon regular black pepper
- In a 1 gallon plastic food bag mix all of the above ingredients with the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat meat. Chill at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours turning bag occasionally.
- Prepare BBQ. When medium hot lay chicken breasts on grill. Cook turning occasionally until cooked thoroughly. Baste chicken often with marinade during the 1st 5 minutes of cooking and then DISCARD the remaining marinade.
- Spoon Wild West Sauce equally onto plate. Set a chicken breast in sauce serve with rice and vegetables.
- For Sauce:.
- In a 2-3 quart sauce pan combine the mango and the remaining ingredients. Bing to a boil of medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until reduced to 2 cups, about 25 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a blender and whirl until smooth. Serve warm If making up to 2 days ahead, let cool, then chill airtight; reheat until steaming. (can be made up to 2 days ahead).
Wow, this recipe was awesome - there aren't enough stars to do it justice. I accidentally added double the amount of cayenne, but everyone thought it was the right amount of spice. I made this last Saturday night as part of an Iron Chef-style mango challenge dinner party. Since then I have followed the same recipe for steak and pork chops, which were also stunningly tasty. Thanks greysangel for sharing this winner.
The chicken was SO tender & juicy. And my dh LOVED the sauce! He liked it so much, he said it would be good on bacon cheese burgers. So, of course, we had to try that the next day. It was wonderful! It's funny, because I almost didn't make the sauce, because I wasn't sure if he would like it or not. But decided to just try & I'm so glad I did. There are not very many recipes that HE rates a 5. Thank you, thank you for sharing this - it's going to be a favorite.
I've made this many times since I first saw it posted by greysangel on a message board! Always great flavor and quick to make!