Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from Kristine Snyder, Kihei, Hawaii, and was the $25,000 grand prize winner in the National Chicken Cooking Contest.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken
- 2⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon asian hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup bottled teriyaki sauce
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, split and toasted
- 4 leaves red leaf lettuce
- 1 cucumber, peeled,seeded,halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- MIX chicken, panko, egg, onions, cilantro, garlic, chili sauce and salt in a large bowl.
- With oiled hands, form into 4 patties.
- Mix together teriyaki glaze and honey in a small bowl.
- In large nonstick fry pan over medium high heat, place 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add chicken and cook, turning and brushing with teriyaki glaze, about 10 minutes or until done.
- PLACE burgers on toasted buns and top with lettuce, cucumber and Ginger Mayonnaise (recipe follows).
- Garnish with additional cilantro and cucumber slices.
- Ginger Mayonnaise: MIX 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish, 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, 2 teaspoons lime juice, 1 clove garlic, minced and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
These are INSANE delicious. It is no wonder the recipe won in a contest. I haven't stopped thinking about making them again since I made them the first time!! I HAD to use turkey, I live in the sticks and couldn't find ground chicken anywhere. I have since drove 2 hours away JUST so I could buy the ground chicken for next time. The recipe was still to-die-for with the turkey though :) And the ginger mayonnaise just puts it over the top. Yummmmo!!! UPDATE: I made it again with chicken and decided that I actually like it better with the turkey :)
These were really good. I wouldn't normally call myself a "chicken burger fan", but these were very tasty. The only point of contention I have is with the mayo, we just personally didn't care for it. I omitted the hot sauce in my kids' burgers and they ate them up. Served with light mayo, lettuce and cucumber slices. YUMMO.
ABSOLUTELY the best chicken burger yet!!!! I doubled recipe and cooked all. Frooze the extras in freezer bags with squares of parchment paper in between to bring to work and microwave for an awesome lunch!!! I cooked on each side then basted with sauce for about 1 min on each side. Oh forgot, I didnt have chili sauce so I added chili powder and as others omitted the salt due to the saltiness of the teryaki, did add some ground pepper for personal preference. Served on lettuce, with awesome sauce, no bun needed here!!! Pineapple on the side goes well with these burgers too. THANK YOU FOR AN A+ RECIPE!!!!