Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A posh version of fish pie, but extra yummy!! You can use mussels with the prawns, mix and match as you would like. You will need a 3 pint capacity dish for this.
- 675 g small potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 g leeks, finely sliced
- 115 g mushrooms, finely sliced
- 450 g white fish fillets or 450 g cod or 450 g haddock, skinned
- 600 ml milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 175 g prawns, cooked and peeled or 175 g mussels
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 200 g cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Slice the potatoes into thick slices, and cook in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 5 minutes then drain well.
- Put the oil and leeks in a frying pan and cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes until soft, add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the fish in a saucepan and cover with a little milk, bring to a simmer and poach for 5 minutes until tender, drain but reserve the poaching milk!
- Use a little of the butter to grease the baking dish. Flake the fish and place in the dish with the leeks, mushrooms and prawns/mussels and scatter over the parsley.
- Preheatthe oven to 200 degrees C / 400 degrees F / Gas 6.
- In the same saucepan, make a white sauce by melting the remaining butter and adding in the flour, stir well and cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the remaining milk, beating well after each addition.
- When all the milk has been added and the sauce is smooth, return the saucepan to the heat, stirring continously until thickened. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes then add 100g of the cheese and season to taste.
- Pour half the sauce over the fish, arrange the potato slices on top and cover with the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and cook on a baking sheet in the centre of a preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Then serve!