Recipe by Debi
Salmon is a staple in the Pacific Northwest and this simple meal is perfect for special company or a nice Sunday family dinner. For the perfect spring time dinner party, accompany with Mushroom and Wild Rice Pilaf, Stir-Fried Asparagus & Sugar Snap Peas and Strawberry, Goat Cheese and Pine Nut Salad. These recipes are adapted from a magazine called Taste which is put out be various alcohol distributors. Needless to say - serve this witha well chilled Chardonnay or Pinto Grigio. BTW - there's a lovely new US Pinot Grigio out that's crisp & refreshing with overtones of citrus & green apple. Very good price point too. It's Barefoot Pinot Grigio.
Top Review by Debber
Well, this is certainly a KEEPER! The dijon whipping cream is the best, I wish I'd've thought of that sooner--all these years without such divine sauciness. Mmm-good! I was bad, though, as I didn't COOL the poaching sauce to room temp....just poured it over the fish, and baked 'er like that. Very nice presentation, too.
- 3 cups dry white wine or 3 cups Chardonnay wine or 3 cups pinot grigio wine
- 3 cups water
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large fresh basil sprig
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs fresh salmon fillets
- olive oil
- lemon, sliced
- lime, sliced
Dijon Whipped Cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine wine, water, lemon, peppercorns, bay leaves and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Place salmon in large glass baking dish. If your filet has the skin on, place skin side down.
- Strain and pour cooled liquid around and over top of salmon.
- Cover dish tightly with foil.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes depending on thickness of filet. Usually this is about 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Fish should look opaque in the centre and flake easily.
- Remove pan from oven. Gently drain and transfer to a serving dish Brush with olive oil.
- Dijon Whipped Cream:.
- In a chilled bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Beat in Dijon Mustard just until peaks become firm. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- To serve:.
- Arrange lemon and lime slices around salmon and garnish with on top as well. Serve with Dijon Whipped Cream on the side.