Recipe by Tarbean
From Cooking Pleasures magazine The blue cheese was too strong for my husband and me. Next time I will use feta. "Sweet, delicious pears do double-duty in this pretty salad. They're diced and sauteed in butter for the salad's base, as well as sliced and served raw atop the mixed greens. For a crispy accompaniment, toast baguette slices and spread them with a creamy blue cheese. Look for an Oregon blue, such as Rogue Creamery Oregon Blue Vein Cheese." To toast hazelnuts, place on baking sheet; bake at 375 4-6 minutes or until slightly darker in color and skins begin to crack. Cool.
- 2⁄3 cup pear juice
- 6 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 pears, firm but ripe, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 (4 ounce) bagsherb mixed salad greens (16 cups)
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (4 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients. Can be made up to 3 days ahead.
- Cut 2 of the pears ito 1/2" pieces. Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped pears; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook 4-6 minutes or until golden brown and softened. Recipe can be made to this point up to 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Place cooked pears in center of 8 salad plates. In large bowl, toss salad mix with vinaigrette. Place on top of pears; sprinkle with cheese and nuts. Slice remaining 2 pears; arrange over greeens.