1/3 Photos of Pacific Northwest Microwbrew Steamers With Bread
Chef PotPie's Note:
This has amazed our guests for years, but is so easy it leaves me time to enjoy their company! And sometimes hubby and I just have it together with a very oaky Chardonnay. The use of unsalted butter is imperative for this recipe, else it is way too salty! This serves 4 for a pretty filling appetizer or 2 for a meal with a salad. You can use clams instead of mussels if you wish. There will be plenty of broth to soak up with a nice crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots (or sweet onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle northwest amber ale
- 2 lbs fresh mussels (debearded)
- 1In a large non-reactive pot with lid, melt butter.
- 2Add garlic, pepper, shallots, tarragon, thyme, parsley, chives and beer.
- 3Heat just to a simmer and stir in mussels or clams.
- 4Cover and steam 4-7 minutes till shells have opened.
- 5Discard any that have not opened.
- 6Put clams in individual bowls and ladle broth over.
- 7Serve with crusty bread for sopping.
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pacific Northwest Microwbrew Steamers With Bread
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.5
- Calories from Fat 461
- Total Fat 51.3 g
- Saturated Fat 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 185.5 mg
- Sodium 665.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 29.1 g