Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Save this one for those wonderful garden-fresh tomatoes of the summer! We have this often with our home grown tomatoes. The recipe is from my much used Junior League Cookbook of Phoenix, published in 1982. Cook time is for chilling, if desired.
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 large avocados
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream
- Peel tomatoes and dice into large bowl, saving juice.
- Blend with broth; add basil, olive oil and onion.
- Peel and dice one avocado; stir into broth mixture, salt to taste.
- Ladle into bowls. Peel and slice the other avocado.
- Garnish each bowl with some of the avocado slices, a dollop of sour cream and chopped bacon.
- Serve at room temperature or chill.