Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Venezuala. This is from recipes4us.co.uk. This is posted for ZWT4.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs top sirloin steaks (about 1/2 inch thick)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until onons are soft and transparent.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin, and salt.
- Mix well, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Stir often until the tomato juices evaporate and the sauce becomes thick.
- 15 minutes before the end of cooking time, preheat the grill to hot.
- Place the steak on the grill pan and cook under the grill for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the grill and cut into pieces about 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide.
- Add the strips of beef to the sauce, mixing well.
- Traditionally served with plantains, black beans, and rice.
I am rating this based on the "sauce" since I used it to smother grilled sirloins, without slicing them into strips. Tasted wonderful and would be great over a chicken breast also, or even salmon! And so easy! Thanks for this keeper. Made for ZWT 7.
This was good!! I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned. I added 1/8 cup water to get it going but really didn't need to. The tomatoes alone had enough juices in them. I don't have a BBQer so I broiled it in my oven. I have leftovers so I think I will make them for lunch today. Thank for sharing your recipe LL. Made for ZWT 4 and the Cafe ZMAKK Gypsies.