Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this on World Recipes. Posting for ZWT 7-South America (Venezela).
Make and share this Pabellon Criollo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs flank steaks, cut in 3 or 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups beef stock (or more)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 cups cooked long-grain white rice, see recipe
- 6 cups cooked black beans
- 2 medium plantains, a little firm
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- Simmer the meat and the bay leaf in the stock for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is nice and tender. Allow the meat to cool in the stock. When cool, remove from the stock, shred, and set aside.
- In the olive oil, sauté the onion until it is soft. Add the garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano and continue to cook over low heat until the mix is quite dry. Add the shredded meat and correct the seasoning.
- Cut the plantain into 3 inch pieces and sauté them in the safflower oil over medium heat until they are lightly browned all over. Drain them on paper towels.
- Assemble the dish in the design of the Venezualan flag, arrange the beef, rice, and beans on a rectangular platter in three rows with the rice in the center. Garnish with sautéed plantains. Some versions of this dish are topped with fried eggs, one per dish.