2 hrs 30 mins
Found this on World Recipes. Posting for ZWT 7-South America (Venezela).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs flank steaks, cut in 3 or 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups beef stock (or more)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 cups cooked long-grain white rice, see recipe
- 6 cups cooked black beans
- 2 medium plantains, a little firm
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1Simmer the meat and the bay leaf in the stock for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is nice and tender. Allow the meat to cool in the stock. When cool, remove from the stock, shred, and set aside.
- 2In the olive oil, sauté the onion until it is soft. Add the garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano and continue to cook over low heat until the mix is quite dry. Add the shredded meat and correct the seasoning.
- 3Cut the plantain into 3 inch pieces and sauté them in the safflower oil over medium heat until they are lightly browned all over. Drain them on paper towels.
- 4Assemble the dish in the design of the Venezualan flag, arrange the beef, rice, and beans on a rectangular platter in three rows with the rice in the center. Garnish with sautéed plantains. Some versions of this dish are topped with fried eggs, one per dish.
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pabellon Criollo
Serving Size: 1 (940 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1567.8
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 847.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 262.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.9 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 68.9 g