Recipe by Um Safia
"Pa Thong Ko" are traditional Thai doughnuts. If you've ever been to Thailand you will have seen the street vendors selling these treats at breakfast time! Time to make doesn't include resting time.....
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add water and stir well. Add this mixture to the all purpose flour, then gently stir for a few seconds.
- Add vegetable oil & mix until well combined. Cover and leave it for 4 hours at room temperature.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan. Dust work surface with flour. Roll the dough into a sausage shape. Cut into 1" pieces, form a ball then roll out into a thin circle (4-5mm) or to make the other style: cut into 2" pieces. Dab a little water in the centre of each piece & stick another piece to it - to form an X shape.
- Caefully drop doughnuts 2 at a time into hot oil and fry it until they rise to the surface & are golden.