Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Adopted recipe. This smells great when it is cooking. It also lends itself well to adding whatever seasonings you prefer. You could very easily make this is a crockpot/slow cooker too.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon penzey's 4s seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 celery rib, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 large red onion, peeled, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup hearty red wine
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth (enough to cover meat) or 2 cups unsalted beef stock (enough to cover meat)
- Sprinkle meat with salt, seasoning salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat oil in large, heavy skillet.
- Brown beef on all sides.
- Place carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves and parsley in bottom of heavy casserole or dutch oven, just large enough so roast fits snugly.
- Add wine, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and beef broth to cover meat.
- Cover with lid or heavy foil and bake (braise) at 350°F for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Let meat stand in braising liquid until ready to serve.
This is soooo flavorful and easy you should really try it ASAP