Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you love cabbage and are not a big fan of the cole slaws with lots of mayo, you'll love this recipe! German cole slaw is usually made with vinegar and no mayo which makes it a lot lower in fat. This is a compromise on that, and I really love the flavor of this dressing. Don't shy away from using lots of fresh ground black pepper! The dressing amounts are approximate: if you like more/less dressing on your salads, you can half the ingredients or double them - just keep the proportions the same. Sometimes, I add some chopped bacon for some more flavor. Also, you can use cashews, walnuts, pecans, your favorite nut, or any combination in place of almonds.
- In a food processor, chop cabbage, carrot, celery, and onion (separately).
- Mix together chopped ingredients in a bowl.
- Add in chopped apple and almonds.
- In a separate bowl, mix dressing ingredients.
- Add dressing to cabbage mixture, and mix well so that dressing lightly coats and holds slaw together.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Really great slaw. I omitted the mayo altogether and enjoyed this as a hot dog and hamburger topping.