1/3 Photos of Pa Dutch Chicken Pot Pie Noodle Soup
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
A combo of my maternal and paternal grandmothers' recipes. It's what I grew up on....slow-cooked stuff w/ the veggies cooked to mushiness. Kinda comforting sometimes. They made their own pot pie noodles--I buy 'em. They used onion; I like leeks. I also added a bay leaf. It's a tummy-warmer. You could use chicken thighs and/or breast, but thighs are just so more juicy! ;) Serving size is a guess. The way my grandparents ate, this would probably feed two--maybe four if they were saving room for Shoo-Fly Pie. **
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery ribs, diced small, INCLUDE THE LEAVES
- 1 1/2-2 cups diced carrots
- 2 leeks, finely chopped, white and light green parts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced very small
- 1 lb square pot pie noodles
- salt, to taste
- 1Place chicken thighs in a large stockpot. Add the water, soup base, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the celery carrots, leeks, parsley and potatoes; cover and simmer for an additional hour.
- 3Remove cooked chicken from the stockpot. cut up the chicken into bite-sized pieces w/ a knife or 2 forks.
- 4While your cutting up the chicken, throw your pot pie noodles in the stockpot with the rest of the soup.
- 5Add additional water, if needed, but it's not supposed to be too watery -- it's more of a stew.
- 6Turn up the heat to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until your noodles are desired softness.
- 7Return your cut up chicken to the pot and heat through.
- 8Adjust your salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Remove bay leaf.
- 10Put it in a big bowl and slurp away!
- 11**Make sure you serve it with WHITE bread (NOT whole wheat) slathered with butter (NOT MARGARINE) so thick that you can see your teethmarks.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pa Dutch Chicken Pot Pie Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (817 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 726.7
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 214.7 mg
- Sodium 230.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 44.7 g