Recipe by **Jubes**
A Brazilian snack or appetizer. Eat them cheesey and warm from the oven. They can be frozen and re-heated. I've had some purchased frozen cheese puffs, but they were very expensive. These are very easy to make and as a bonus they are gluten-free
Top Review by dcg1999
I have tried a similar recipe, and they are to die for! Since I became a celiac, these are my own version of grilled cheese sandwiches (which I would pick over grilled cheese, gluten free or not anyway!). I freeze the balls, then take out 2 or 3 for my "grilled cheese" lunch, pop them in my toaster oven for about 20 minutes. They are like crusty rolls with a suprize gooey cheesy middle.
- 2 cups tapioca starch
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 175 g grated cheese (6oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 190°C ( 375° F) and grease a baking sheet.
- Sift the the tapioca starch into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the vegetable oil, water, and salt in a saucepan and heat until almost boiling. You can use the mcrowave for this step if you wish.
- Pour the hot liquid into the bowl of tapioca starch. Mix and allow to stand for 10 minutes at room temperature Cover the bowl with a clean cloth or tea-towel.
- Mix in the egg and cheese into the rested dough.
- Roll the dough using your hands into balls and place on a baking sheet. 1 to 2 teaspoons makes a good sized cheese puff. Place the balls approx one inch apart on your baking tray.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until the tops of the balls begin to turn brown.
- Eat warm from the oven or cool and freeze to be reheated later.