P.j. Moriarty’s Irish Stew
- Line the bottom of an enameled cast iron casserole with a layer of sliced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Add a layer of onions and seasonings, then a layer of lamb. Continue layering, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. End with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour in the water or stock and bring rapidly to a boil.
- Skim the surface of the stew, then lower heat, cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Sprinkle stew with fresh chopped parsley and serve from the casserole. Serves 6.
- Larousse Treasury of Country Cooking.