Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Layers of potatoes, onions and lamb make up this simple but tasty meal.
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb onion, thinly sliced
- 3 lbs stewing lamb, cut into cubes
- 1 quart water or 1 quart beef stock
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Line the bottom of an enameled cast iron casserole with a layer of sliced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Add a layer of onions and seasonings, then a layer of lamb. Continue layering, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. End with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour in the water or stock and bring rapidly to a boil.
- Skim the surface of the stew, then lower heat, cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Sprinkle stew with fresh chopped parsley and serve from the casserole. Serves 6.
- Larousse Treasury of Country Cooking.