Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a copycat recipe for P F Chang's Stir-Fried Spicy Eggplant (Chinese eggplant tossed in a spicy vegetarian sauce with chili paste and scallions).
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons water to make a paste
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek chili paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground bean sauce (recommend Koon Chun brand)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Combine all Spicy Sauce ingredients and mix well.
- In a wok or large frying pan, deep-fry eggplant at 350 degrees F for 1 minute. Remove eggplant and drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile remove all but 1/2 teaspoon of oil from wok. On high heat, stir-fry garlic for 5 seconds then add Spicy Sauce. Reduce heat and let sauce simmer 20 seconds.
- Add eggplant and mix well. Simmer for another 10 seconds. Stir in cornstarch paste a little at a time until desired consistency. Serve immediately.