Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine, December 1979. The recipe is credited to a reader, John Lynch-Staunton, who says that his father was served a similar dish on Prince Edward Island during WWII.
- 6 cloves
- 1 small onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 thin orange slices, for garnish
- Stick the cloves into the onion.
- Combine the onion, broth, juice, sugar, sauces and baking soda in a saucepan.
- Simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Discard the onion.
- Top each serving with an orange slice.