Recipe by Kat's Mom
These cookies sound sure to appeal to both adults and kids who love peanut butter & jelly. Cannot wait to bake these as they sound like a perfect "take-with" breakfast. From the Welch's "The Magic of Jelly" cookbook.
Top Review by PumpKIM
I don't like giving bad ratings, but I do feel that suggestions are always beneficial. These get a great rating for taste, but they didn't set properly. I tried baking them longer, but the center was still far too moist and I had to throw it out. The ones on the edges were salvagable, but I suspected that these might need an egg to hold the squares together. I checked a similar recipe I have and my suspicions were confirmed. In any case, these were delicious!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup grape jam or 1 cup grape jelly
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ, toasted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9" x 13" pan.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar at high speed until creamy.
- Beat in peanut butter until blended.
- Reduce speed to low; blend in flour mixture and oats.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter in the pan with a spatula.
- Spread grape jam/jelly carefully over the batter.
- Sprinkle with wheat germ, if used.
- Spoon out small dollops of remaining batter and scatter over the jam/jelly.
- Bake 25 minutes, until golden (the squares will be bubbly and still look soft).